The copper production plant of the Group is in the city of Pirdop, Bulgaria. The plant was built in 1958 and main activity is processing of copper concentrates for the production of copper anodes and cathodes, as well as by-products such as sulphuric acid and fayalit. It consists of four main production units: Smelter, Refinery, Acid plant and Flotation plant. In April 2009 the official approval of the new name of the company “Aurubis” was received, after a year earlier the group Cumerio was acquired by Norddeutsche Affinerie AG (NA), after the approval of the European Commission at the beginning of the year.
Today the company employs over 820 people. In 2014 the production of “Aurubis Bulgaria” was 350 000 t. anode copper, 233 000 t. cathode copper and 1 200 000 t. sulphuric acid. The company realizes 8% of the country's exports to different markets including Turkey, Belgium, China, Singapore, and the imports are mainly by China, the Balkans, the Middle East. Currently the company is the largest user of the Bulgarian ports and rail transport over 2 million cargo shipments per year.
Over the past ten years to modernize production and eco-efficiency improvements in company were invested over EUR 500 million, for which are given a number of awards, including "Investor in Environment Protection" (2014, Bulgarian Investment Agency).
As a part of the Partnership program for development in Srednogorie region, each year the company has made donations amounting to over BGN 6 million to Municipalities of Pirdop and Zlatitsa for implementing a projects in education, sports initiatives, cultural events, development of young talented children, disabled people and healthcare.